Friday, August 17, 2012

The Anthropology of My Faith

Welcome to my new blog!

Anthropology- what does this word make you think of? Most of the time when I tell someone that I'm studying to be an anthropologist (socio-cultural) they smile and say, "Oh, thats nice". Well, yes it is nice. Its terrific and I love it! But ninety percent of the time I know that what they're really thinking is, "what in the world is that?" My mother likes to tease me (and others) by saying that it is the study of ants. Let me clear that up for you: it is not the study of ants. It is the study of humans- you know, the stuff that makes us different from animals (or even similar to them). Anthropologist answer questions like: How does culture develop? Why do people act the way they do? What has changed about us over time?... And you know why I chose to study this? I chose it because I like people. I like thinking about what causes diversity in culture, and thought process, and language, and religion and so much more. Don't get bored yet though! Because this blog is going to be about the anthropology I see in my life.

I go to school at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah and I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A lot of what I want to share is the culture of those who belong to my church. Maybe by writing about my life and faith I'll get to dispel some myths. Maybe by reading my posts you will understand members of my faith and I a little bit more. I know a lot of people are curious. Because it may seem peculiar to you that someone would choose not to participate in drinking alcohol, smoking, drinking coffee, swearing, or premarital sex. It probably seems unusual that we would attend church for more than three hours each sunday and multiple times a week. Its probably even stranger that we are still very strong supporters of marriage and family. Well, I want to talk about these things here! Because if you open up your heart you will understand why it makes so much sense. Thats what anthropology is. Its being able to look at someone's way of life and opening yourself to it so that your prejudices and misunderstandings can be washed away. Its becoming enlightened.

I hope you respect me and those of my faith by really getting to know us. Religion can be hard to talk about. But I think that if we talked about it more there would be less contention and fear. No one really knows me until they are willing to hear about my deepest beliefs.

I hope you enjoy the thoughts I share here.

Yours faithfully,

Acton Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment